West Houston Lacrosse Association’s mission is to promote youth lacrosse and encourage youth development by providing opportunities for personal and athletic growth. WHLA promotes teamwork, sportsmanship, self-esteem, and the development of life skills through engaging youth in lacrosse while providing a safe, healthy, positive environment where the youth of our community can learn the fundamentals of lacrosse. Our focus is on supporting and developing youth lacrosse programs in the West Houston area.
Welcome to West Houston Lacrosse Association. WHLA was formed to create a home team and league in our area for young lacrosse players. We believe that every student that wants to play lacrosse should have that opportunity.
We are dedicated to starting off our youngest players in the fun and age-appropriate Soft Stick program. Once the players have reached 3rd grade they can move into our recreational 7v7 leagues or take part in the Wolves, our full field teams that will play in the Greater Houston Youth Lacrosse Association league as well as local tournaments.
WHLA is excited to be starting this journey with you and your children, and we look forward to growing our program over the next few years to include both middle school boys, as well as, girls' teams for all age groups.
Although Lacrosse is the fastest growing team sport in the country, it has developed a reputation that can be considered non-inclusive and poses prohibitive costs to entry. WHLA aims to provide access to all interested players, as well as academic and athletic opportunity through the following methods:
- Expose student-athletes to lacrosse early in their formative years
- Facilitate health education and academic programming to augment lessons learned through the team sport experience
- Introduce participants to scholarship opportunities via lacrosse
- Implement programming within participants’ neighborhoods, to improve communities and avoid displacing potential leaders
- Provide basic instruction and mentoring opportunities for coaches
- Incrementally develop the West Houston Lacrosse Association as a community-based lacrosse league